Here we are again at the end of another year. It’s hard to believe Sometimes Homemade is 3 years old today! I had to cut back on both projects and writing a bit this year as things in my professional life were quite busy, plus keeping up with a now 7 year old and a year filled with many milestones including our 15 year anniversary, my husband’s first 70.3 Ironman, our first Disney World trip AND my 40th birthday kept our days full!
I incorporated a few more family and lifestyle posts this year which seemed to be received well. It was fun to look back this week on what new posts were most popular this year. Below are the ones that were the most read this year.
10. 20+ Handmade Gifts Guys Will Actually Like – Guys can always be hard to buy for and even harder to DIY for. Keep these ideas handy for birthdays, Father’s Day or next Christmas.
9. Sugar Cookie Bars – if you love sugar cookies but not all the work these sugar cookie bars are perfect. Use different colored sprinkles for other themes and holidays throughout the year.
8. Monogram Succulent Garden – we all know I love monograms and succulents were a big trend this year. Sadly my black thumb could not keep them all alive, but I will be trying again. I’m telling myself it was because I was not in a very sunny spot in my office!
7. When 1st Day of School Pictures Don’t Go As Planned – I swear, Carter really does like school, just not always getting his picture taken!
6. Friday Five – The Late Show – I was lucky enough to get to catch one of the last tapings of the Late Show with David Letterman with one of my co-workers. What a great experience and a fun memory for the year!
5. Lego Crayon Valentines – These were fun and easy to make. Great for Valentine’s day or for a Lego themed birthday party.
4. Wen Hair Care Review – this one has been a popular post even before some recent bad press of people experiencing hair loss. It continues to work great for me without any issues. It just goes to show that products work differently for everyone.
3. Etching on Slate – My love of etching cream continued as I found it worked on more than just glass with this slate cheese tray I made. I recently bought a Silhouette Curio though and I’m excited about trying out the etching feature.
2. Wooden Yard Dice – These are a fun alternative to some of the traditional back yard games. I’m looking forward to using them for many summers to come.
1. DIY Leather O-Ring Bracelet – This bracelet was inspired by one I saw Joanna Gaines of HGTV’s Fixer Upper wearing. I love this show and Joanna’s style, and it looks like you do too!
Many of the most popular posts still come from years 1 and 2 of Sometimes Homemade, here are the top 5 posts of all time.
5. Felt Super Hero Masks – I made these for Carter’s birthday 3 years ago and they still get pulled out often when his friends are at our house playing.
4. Best Chex Mix Ever Done in 15 Minutes – It’s obvious you must love Chex Mix as much as my family does. I made 3 batches over the holidays.
3. Painting Kitchen Cabinets – My painted kitchen cabinets are holding up very well. I get a lot of questions from people on how both my cabinets and DIY counter tops are wearing, so I’ll do a follow up post in the new year (sneak preview: they still look great!)
2. Beaded Wrap Bracelet – I made several of these as gifts a few years ago, but I have yet to make myself one. I’ll have to change that this year (and maybe update my pictures in the process)!
1. Etched Mason Jar Glasses – This is a simple project that you can use to personalize any type of glass. I love doing these as a gift and include my recipient’s favorite beverage. We keep our Mason jar mugs in the freezer so we always have frosty mugs on hand.
Thanks for supporting my creativity over the last three years! I’m looking forward to some life changes in 2016 (stay tuned for details next week!) which I’m sure you’ll see reflected in my upcoming projects and new content areas. My best to you and yours in the New Year!