Just the right combination of smoky and spicy, these smokehouse flavored almonds are a great healthy snack option which is anything but boring.
Now that I’m working from home, it’s all too easy to run down to the kitchen to grab a snack between calls or when I need a little break. We try to not to keep too much junk in the house for that reason, because given the option, I will almost always choose the non healthy snack. Oh ice cream… I know when you’re in there!
One of my favorite buys recently were Blue Diamond Smokehouse almonds. These have great flavor, but sometimes I find them just a bit to salty.
Last weekend I was on a quest to make my own and cut down a bit on the salt. I think I found a good balance with ingredients I had on hand. You can really adjust the ingredients to taste.
I’m loving this #guiltfree spatula my mom (um, I mean Santa) put in my Christmas stocking this year. I guess it would be more ironic if I was baking cookies rather than a healthy snack, but it’s still January and I’m still trying to adhere to my better eating plan. (Expect to see this make a come back with Valentine’s baking!).
This recipe is really easy, just mix together ingredients, stir in the almonds and roast them in the oven.
- 2 cups whole unsalted almonds
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (or substitute 1/4 tsp liquid smoke for extra smoky flavor)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4-1/2 tsp hot pepper or chili sauce
- Cooking spray
- Heat over to 350 degrees.
- Combine olive oil, dry ingredients and hot pepper sauce in a medium size bowl. Add almonds and coat evenly.
- Transfer almonds to a lightly greased baking pan and spread out evenly. Cook for 15-20 minutes stirring twice.
- Let cool, enjoy! Store in an airtight container.