These quick and easy to make felt fortune cookies are perfect for Valentine’s Day or any special occasion where you need a simple, personalized gift.
Most of the time when I pick craft projects to do, they end up taking a lot longer than I anticipate, so when I have something turn out great that is actually quick and easy, I’m even happier with the result! That’s the case with these adorable felt fortune cookies. They are perfect for Valentine’s Day but would be great for any occasion, using different colors. It also happens to be the Chinese New Year, so this is a pretty perfect project for today!
I found the original idea through Pinterest and Martha Stewart. Based on the comments, I made some modifications to the original directions which definitely sped up the process. I’m making these for my husband, but they’d be great for kids and teens, coworkers, friends, etc. Just modify the sayings as appropriate.
- Lightweight Felt
- Pipe Cleaners
- Hot Glue Gun
- Printed Fortunes/Sayings
- Trace and cut a circles out of felt. I did 3.5″ diameter circles and used a drinking glass as my stencil. If you want to put candy or something else besides a message inside your fortunes, I suggest 4-4.5″ circles. I found the 3.5″ size was perfect for just the messages.
- Cut your pipe cleaners at 3″ lengths.
- Fold your felt circle in half to create a crease mark so you know where the center line is. This will make gluing your pipe cleaner a lot easier. Run a light bead of hot glue along your cut pipe cleaner and place it in the crease mark on the felt. Let glue cool a few minutes.
- Insert your slip of paper with your fortune or saying on top of the pipe cleaner.
- Fold your felt in half with the circle side up. Then bend the two ends down creating a bend in the center of the pipe cleaner. Shape as necessary. Most of mine didn’t need any manipulation. That’s it!
You can present them in a cute gift box or bag if your’e giving several to one person.
I’m still working on all the sayings for the ones for my husband. I found several sites that have more generic sayings if you’re looking for some inspiration.
The Lettered Cottage
Fancy Fortune Cookies
When I realized it happened to be the Chinese New Year, I read up a little on it. 2013 is the Year of the Black Water Snake. You can read about it here. Famous people born in previous years of the Snake include Martha Stewart, Oprah Winfrey, JFK, and Martin Luther King Jr. Very interesting to read the traits associated with each. I found out I was born in the year of the Rabbit. I’m not sure I agree with all the traits associated with it, but I guess it’s like anything you identify with the parts you’d like to keep and deny the ones you don’t!
Linked Up At: Sunday Funday; Made By You Mondays; Monday Funday; The Party Bunch; Diana Rambles; Live Laugh Linky