Make homemade spiced wine mix which is a perfect hostess gift during the holidays along with your favorite bottle of wine!
I’m finally getting around to posting about some of the gifts I made for the holidays. For the last few years, family has just exchanged stocking stuffers for the adults. That was always my brother’s and my favorite part of Christmas morning. We were allowed to open our stockings before anyone else got up. I now realize, it was my parents way of getting a little more sleep. Genius!
One of the gifts I made to put in my mom and my sister-in-law’s stockings was a spiced wine mix I found on the BetterRecipes Daily Dish blog. I altered the amount of a few spices to my taste. You can also used this as a spiced apple cider mix.
Ingredients & Directions:
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dry red wine
- Cinnamon sticks
- Glass jars
- Ribbon & tags or labels
Mix sugar, ground cinnamon, cloves, allspice and nutmeg together. Put in your jar, put a cute label on it, and write/type up the directions below to give to your recipient. (oh how I wish I had lovely handwriting!) Give with a bottle of dry red wine.
- Single serving: Mix 2 teaspoons of wine mix with 1/2 cup water, heat in small saucepan to boiling. Add 1 cup dry red wine, heat until hot but not boiling and sugar is dissolved.
- For 12 servings: Mix 1 cup of the wine mix with 1 quart of water, heat in large saucepan to boiling. Add 2 quarts dry red wine, heat until hot but not boiling and sugar is dissolved.
Serve with cinnamon sticks (optional). You can also mix this with apple cider. If you do that, you do not need to mix with water.
I of course had to make enough to keep some for myself. It’s great on a cold winter night!