Not a great week this week on my goals. I had work events 2 nights this week, which did motivate me to get up two mornings to work out, but caused my eating to go out the window.
1) Average 10,000 steps per day.
This was my worst week on steps since the first week I started the series with 8,095 average daily steps. I did a decent amount of exercise this week, but because I was also working on one of my other goals for the week of getting in some weight training or other exercise, I wasn’t as good on my steps. Since I’m limited on time, it seems like I always have to make a trade off.
Here’s what I did for purposeful exercise this week.
- Sunday: Jillian Michaels Kick Box Fast Fix, 2 workouts – 40 minutes
- Monday: None
- Tuesday: Jillian Michaels Kick Box Fast Fix, 2 workouts – 40 minutes
- Wednesday: Jillian Michaels Ripped In 30 – 30 minutes
- Thursday: None, walked around Iowa State Fair for work event.
- Friday: 40 minutes elliptical
- Saturday: 3.9 mile run/walk interval training
The weather has been amazing the last few days, and not nearly as warm as it usually is in August. One of the things I like best about the area we live in is the trails near us. Here are a few pictures I snapped today on my run.
It’s even prettier when we’re not at the end of a dry summer. Spring and fall are really beautiful.
For my run today I did a HIIT workout (High Intensity Interval Training). I find it helps me avoid getting bored, which keeps me motivated to go farther and longer. I think the only reason I run sometimes is to try to get done sonner! Motivation is motivation I guess.
- 3 minute walking warm up
- 1:30 minute fast run, as close to a sprint as I can manage for that time
- 1:30 walk
- 2 minute fast run
- 2 minute walk (repeat 2 minute intervals 3 more times)
- 1:30 minute fast run
- 1:30 minute walk
- 1 minute fast run
- 3 minute cool down
2) Do weight training and/or a class at least 3 times this week.
I didn’t make it to a new class this week, but as you can see from my list of activities for the week, I did work some exercise other than running/walking/elliptical into my routine this week. I have A LOT of workout dvd’s at home. I rotated two different Jillian Michael’s dvd’s this week which both incorporate strength training. I also got up early twice this week and did my workout before work. WIN! Unfortunately I do feel like I trade off my step goal when I do this kind of cross training. In a 40 minute walk or run I could have gotten in at least 5,000-6,000 steps. With the Jillian dvd’s I end up with right around 2,000 for the same amount of time. I hate to lower my step goal, but I also don’t want to feel like I shouldn’t do alternate exercise just because it may not be possible to meet my step goal. I’ll see how it goes this next week trying to do both.
3) Track my food every day.
FAIL! I only tracked on Monday and Tuesday. The rest of the week I had work events and dinners. One of which was at the Iowa State Fair – the fried food capital of the world! I only had one small plate of fried goodness and a half batch of mini doughnuts, but I also had a few beers. I really need to get back on track with this one. After I have one bad day for the week, I tend to sort of give up on tracking.
Next week’s goals are pretty much the same as this week’s.
- Average 10,000 steps per day.
- Do weight training and/or a class at least 3 times this week.
- Start the squat challenge I found on Pinterest from Popsugar
- Track my food every day.
Linked Up At: Operation Skinny Jeans