Shortbread Toffee Bars are made using a simple shortbread recipe with decadent caramel, chocolate and toffee topping. They are rich, but you won’t be able to eat just one!
Fall baking season is in full force. I generally bake on Sundays, so I can take them into work on Mondays, otherwise we will EAT IT ALL! No will power here when there are treats in the house! These shortbread toffee bars have been on my list for a while, and they will definitely be making an appearance again during the holiday season.
Recipe is adapted from Cookies and Cups.
Mix together butter and brown sugar, then combine with flour. Press dough into a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, sprayed with cooking spray.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Combine remaining butter and sweetened condensed milk in a sauce pan over medium heat until melted. Pour over baked shortbread and spread evenly.
Bake for 10-15 minutes, top with chocolate chips. Return to over for 1-2 minutes, then spread chocolate evenly over shortbread.
Sprinkle with toffee bits. If you prefer a little salty with your sweet, sprinkle very lightly with sea salt.
Let cool completely. You may want to put in freezer for 10-15 minutes. Lift parchment paper from pan and cut into squares or rectangles.
- 3/4 cup salted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp almond extract (can also substitute vanilla extract)
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups toffee bits
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Beat butter and brown sugar together until creamed. Add almond extract, salt and flour and mix until combined, may be crumbly. Press dough into pan.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes until golden brown.
- For filling, in a sauce pan over medium heat, melt together sweetened condensed milk and butter. Pour over baked shortbread and spread evenly. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top of baked shortbread, put back in over for 1-2 minutes. Spread melted chocolate chips evenly over shortbread. Cool slightly
- Sprinkle toffee bits over chocolate. Optional: add just a little sea salt on top of toffee.
- Cool completely. Lift parchment paper from pan. Cut into small squares or rectangles.
Linked Up At: Weekend Retreat